Today's post is going to split in two totally different directions, but I have opinions on both. Consider yourself warned!
1. Have you seen the new Jenny Craig commercials the last few days? I guess Jenny's aim is to take heavy women, and have them virtually melt before our eyes. We have watched Kirstie Allie lose a ton of weight, then Valerie Bertinelli. And they both look really great and I am happy for them. The latest spokeswoman for Jenny is none other than the ultra gorgeous Queen Latifah. Remember a few months back when I wrote about how lovely I think the Queen is?
I am almost sad to see her as the new Jenny girl. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy for her wanting to be healthy, and I wish her success. I always got the impression that Queen Latifah was comfortable in her skin and was proud of her size. Even though she is heavier, she is still drop dead gorgeous, and her skin looks like porcelain. I never pegged her as an unhealthy overweight person, but a woman that kind of represents the average slightly heavier woman that so many of us are. I guess we'll get to see what a thin Queen looks like soon. I hope it never changes her style or how totally classy she is.
2. The Jokers would be the New Kids On The Block. Remember them? Or am I the only one? I was a little too old when they were the biggest craze, but my little sister and all of her little friends were totally into them at the time. Well guess, what? They are planning a comeback!
Que all the preteen shrieks of joy!!!
Am I the only one who thinks this is the most ridicules thing ever, and even a little bit sad? These guys are all almost 40! OK, that just makes me feel a little old. I am only 34, and I feel old about this. It seems to me that it's always a little sad when people like this try to reclaim the glory days, and re-live their youth. Kind of like watching me try to tease my hair and wear spandex leggings and a shaker sweater (of course you know what those are, don't even pretend). Ooh, and the stretchy belt with a huge leather buckle in front? It's laughable. Maybe they'll get a few ladies that buy their record (did I just say record? Seriously?) for nostalgia sake, or pity's sake, whichever. And I know none of the guys will buy their stuff because every guy I knew back then thought they were gay for sure. I know they pretty much sucked in the early 90's, and I can't imagine they will have sprouted mad talent anytime in the last 15 years or so. I really think that boy bands have gone the way of the dodo, and I for one am glad of it.
Of course this is coming from the girl who spent her teen years listening to Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Judas Priest. Make of it what you will. I won't blame you.
Wow, see, I told you I was feeling a little opinionated tonight! No recipe today, I promise. And thanks to all who went to Top Momma and voted for me. I've gotten quite a few visitors in the last few days, and that's always really cool. Have a great Sunday, ya'll.
Saturday, January 26, 2008
The Queen and the Jokers
Posted by Military Mom at 9:35 PM
Labels: Jenny Craig, New kids on the block, nostalgia, Queen latifah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I'm with you! I think Queen Latifah is a beautiful bigger women and I am sad to see her as the Jenny spokesperson. I viewed her a positive role model that the world is not a perfect size 6 and we can be beautiful and big. But as you said, good for her wanting to be healthy.
As for NKOTB (oh yeah, I remember them and the initials!)...I'm running screaming now- and not in a good way! To me- it is like 60 year old Stallone doing another Rambo movie--sometimes, you just have to admit you are old and embrace it. Not pretend you are not older.
yuk!
I'm disappointed, too, over Queen Latifah and Jenny Craig. She always seems comfortable with herself. Oh, well. That's what Hollyweird does to you, I guess.
And I hated NKontheB. UGH! Please, I'm with you. I was listening to all that heavy metal stuff when I was a teenager. I always joked that if I ever owned a radio station, the call letters would be WNNK (No New Kids!).
Heh. I was totally at the right age for the NKOTB craze, but they just weren't my thing. I was listening to the Beastie Boys when I was 6, so I guess I'm a bit of a metal-head. That, and the hair bands. Bon Jovi -- now THAT was a band I was obsessed with.
I am sad to see Queen Latifah as a Jenny girl too. She looks great just the way she is.
Not only is a New Kids reunion sad, it's also a little bit disturbing! You're so right, they're like 40 now and soooo cannot get away with twirling around on a stage, lipsynching to pop music...they may break a hip ;)
As for the Queen...I agree with you. She always seemed so happy in her own skin. She used to live in the same town as my hubby. He used to go to the same gym as her and her girlfriend. He said she was way cool and very down to earth. All hail the Queen!
I applaud Queen L for wanting to be healthy. But I'm with you on the whole issue. I've always thought she was wonderful just the way she is, and made me feel better about myself knowing that she completely accepted herself for who she is.
Maybe it should be New Reruns on the Block. UGH.
OMG. I can distinctly remember when I celebrated Joe's 16 birthday. It's official, I.Am.Ancient.
The Queen Latifah thing has me annoyed, too. I think she's gorgeous just the way she is.
And, dood, 40 is NOT old, ok? OK??! rassnfrassnrotten30somethingsthink theyknoweverything.
Major Bedhead- I NEVER meant to imply that 40 was old! I will say that 40 year old boy band are pathetic. Sorry if I offended, but I am no that far from 40 myself! Thanks for stopping by!
I LOVE your new header, too. But, I am super excite to see what the new template looks like!
As for NKOTB, I will say that I still love their XMAS album. But I will stay mum about the rest of it.
I'm totally psyched about the NKOTB comeback! Seriously. See, I would much rather that squeaky clean annoying boybands were all over the place than crap like Britney. I prefer that the Toddler follow pop acts that keep their clothes on, especially when those pop acts are perhaps a bit more old than new.
You mean spandex and shaker sweaters are out of style?
Damn...gotta go shopping again.
Post a Comment