BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

When (and where) will it end?

Have you read this article???

A Saudi Cleric has stated that women should be covered completely except for one eye. One eye! Why? To prevent seduction. Apparently self control is impossible for men, so the women must all but disappear in order to not temp them. If they weren't needed for procreation (and to serve as house slaves to the men) I wonder if the women would be eliminated altogether. They are obviously of no worth to the men.

First of all, I'm willing to bet that in that particular society where men are clearly dominant and always have the upper hand, women aren't particularly interested in sex. I very much doubt they go looking for it. As a matter of fact, I'd bet that most of them spend the majority of their lives trying to escape it. To suggest that women are seducing the men is absurd.

Second, when will it ever become the men's responsibility to control themselves? It's always the women who are blamed for any infidelity or rape. The men never have to answer for their own actions. How convenient.

I thank God every day that I was fortunate to be born in America, and a Christian. Maybe I have a weak character, but I don't think I could live as they do in other cultures. To be made a second class citizen, property, no better than an object for their gratification. I can't imagine what that would do to a woman's psyche. To live in fear of being beaten or raped on a daily basis, just because you dared to show your hair, or look at a man on the street. Or for that matter, even be on a street without a male relative. Forced marriages, honor killings, unfair divorce, stoning! This is really becoming a more worrisome issue for me lately. I can see this happening in my lifetime, and certainly in my daughter's. The more we give, the more they demand. Eventually we will be swallowed up and taken over. This election, more than any other, makes me fear for our future and our way of life.

It's stories like this, more than any other political or economical reasons, that strengthen my resolve to continue my military career. I know that what I do as an individual doesn't make any significant difference in the world. But I am a part of the machine that will prevent my daughter and granddaughters from having to live in fear. From ever having to feel shame and persecution simply because they were born female. From becoming property.

Yesterday I was grumpy and disenchanted from the Air Force, and questioning why I chose to live my life in service to this country given all that is going on lately. Today I found my answer. I do it because I feel I owe it to my kids to help make their future better than their present. To preserve our way of life. To ensure my daughter will know what a marvelous and intelligent child of God she is.

Here is another good article, on what me might be able to do to prevent this from happening here.

1 comments:

bluesleepy said...

It is a very scary world out there. Thank goodness for all our servicepeople!!!!