BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 21, 2008

All that bitching for nothing..well almost nothing

So after yesterday's rant, and all the bitching I did, I got zero calls last night. And that's a very good thing. But I was so worried that I would not hear the phone, that I slept terribly all night. I kept dreaming that the phone rang and I missed it, so I'd wake up and check my cell every hour or so. So yes, dragging ass today. All freaking day.

Thanks for all the comments about the AADD. It is good to hear that I have people who agree with me, and I'm not just a bitter old Sarge. Well, about that issue anyway. I bet my troops disagree. See you all think I'm such a sweet, polite lady. But at work? So the opposite. I have to be.

My plan for tonight, aside from trying to read another chapter of my Accounting text and do the homework (yippee skippee), is to SLEEP really good, and eat a little Ben and Jerry's Phish Food. My kids were off school today for Good Friday (can they do that in public school? Bet they are calling it a teacher workday...they are off Monday too), and they and Wonderdad had the house looking really good when I got home. And now he is at the store getting stuff to cook beef stir fry, Oh Yeah! I am trying my best not to be too cranky to them. But it is hard. Not their fault, I'm just really beat.

Tomorrow I guess I am going to have to go and get Easter stuff. This is a holiday I never quite understood. What exactly does the Easter bunny and hiding freaking colored eggs have to do with the resurrection of our Lord? And why have I continued this tradition with my kids all these years if I don't like or understand it? Oh, maybe because if I don't they will be the only kids at school who don't get Easter candy or egg hunts. We are not church going people, but I have taught them about Jesus and they know what the deal is. If you can home school regular school, why not Sunday school? They know that we are Christian, but not really any particular denomination (though they were baptised Catholic). I have no fear for their souls, or mine for that matter. I just wish we could celebrate the real meaning of Easter without all the silly eggs and candy and giant imaginary bunnies.

Ooooh, I do have to stock up on the Cadbury Creme Eggs though....guess I shouldn't bitch too much.

But I guess the Easter bunny is not any more silly than Santa Clause, right?

6 comments:

Pam said...

I'm with you- I haven't figured out how all the holidays ended up as they did. Though since my kids are small...I am enjoying seeing them do the silly egg hunts and things.

I agree with you. Christianity is a lifestyle. It isn't about one ore two special days. So I can live this lifestyle and I can believe in Christ as my savior. But I don't have to be in a church to do that. I know I should go to church more then I do. But I am still teaching my child the beliefs and the way she should be living to honor Christ.

Regardless of all that- Have a Happy Easter and enjoy having the kids home for a few days!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

OK, here's the bunny/egg explanation...

Spring is renewal, as is the resurrection. It's all about rebirth. OK, so, here's this celebration of the resurrection of some guy named Jesus. The pagans weren't into it. They were more into their spring fertility rites. Eggs, bunnies... screwing. You know. All that fun pagan shit. So, to attract the wonky polytheistic freaks to their religion, dark ages Catholic priests figured, "OK, we'll get rid of the fornication, but keep the fertility symbols, because what could that hurt as long as their worshipping and celebrating Christ and God."

So, this is why we have baby chicks, bunnies (extremely fertile animals), eggs, and chocolate.

OK, maybe not the reason for chocolate. Chocolate is a modern thing. But, who cares 'cause it tastes good!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

DANG! They're... not their.

GAD! My grammar sucks.

bluesleepy said...

Most Christian holidays are redone pagan holidays. And in fact, the Puritans who founded this country didn't even believe in celebrating Christmas. It was just another day to them, and one on which to go to church only if it fell on a Sunday. In fact, Christmas has only become a major holiday in recent years.

I completely agree that you can teach your children what values you want them to have at home, without having to go to church. That was sort of the entire point of the Reformation, and why the Bible was finally translated from Latin into the vernacular. I have a hard time with organized religion myself.

I'm not a fan of Easter either. I am a Very Bad Mother, and have not gotten my daughter an Easter basket or even any candy. Maybe next year we'll start. This year she had an Easter egg hunt at her preschool, so I figure she's good. ;o)

namaste said...

i agree with the home/sunday school concept. i did that with my girls. i guess the whole easter bunny thing is just to make a fun celebration for the small children.

;) ~m

Cricky said...

www.myowncrosstobear.blogspot.com

He makes a good argument