BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pre-test Jitters

Happy Tuesday All!

So tomorow is the big day. The promotion test I have been gearing up for for weeks now. And you know what? I don't have a very good feeling about it.

The last time I got promoted, I really put in the hours. I started months before the test and I studied my brains out. I was so motivated to make that stripe! I had been a Staff Sergeant for 4 years, and I really wanted it bad. This time? I guess I have a bit of self doubt and negativity going on.

Yes, of course I want the stripe. More money, more responsibility, more stature. But I think deep down I feel that maybe I haven't yet earned it. I have been in a desk job for almost 3 years, and I really haven't paid my dues as a floor chief. I have also never deployed. Most of the Master Sergeants in my career field have been supervisors and floor chiefs for awhile, and they have the experience both at home and deployed to back it up. I almost feel like I would be a fraud if I had to take over a section now, like I skated into a job I'm not qualified for. Not that there's any other Tech Sergeants I feel would be better qualified... Maybe I'm just being stupid and negative.

I sincerely hope the test goes well tomorrow, and I will be be beyond pleased if I make the stripe, but I won't be all that surprised if I don't. This is my first year I'm eligible, and not that many make it their first year. So I'll just keep my fingers crossed, and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the well wishes and nice comments. I'll let you know how I feel after the test, but I won't know about the stripe until late June (nothing like suspense, right?).

7 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Just do your best - leave that negative attitude at the door.

Sending all types of good thoughts your way!

bluesleepy said...

Ahhh yes... I agree with Fantastagirl. Don't go in there saying, "I can't," or "I don't deserve this." Just go in there and do the very best you can. I just asked Kurt about the promotion tests, and he says the test has the biggest impact on promotion, but that they still look at your evals and awards. If the AF doesn't think you can hack E-7, they won't let you have it yet. Let THEM make that decision; don't make it for them!

He also says that sometimes they promote people that may not have as much experience as you'd think they'd need because somehow they know that the person will soar after that promotion. Maybe the AF knows something about you that you don't know! ;o)

Kurt made E-6 on shore duty; he was a work center supervisor, which helped, but he was doing absolutely nothing related to his job on the ship. He works on the consoles that run the engines that propel the ship, and when he was promoted to E-6 he was working in corrosion control, powder-coating whatever parts ended up in his shop. Making E-7 is entirely different in the Navy; it's a super big deal because not only do you take a test, but you have to be hand-picked by your peers to be promoted. So it's a little different.

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Unknown said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

LunaNik said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

icanseeclearlynow said...

sending positive thoughts and vibes your way, girlie! good luck taking the test today!

:)

maria

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

OK, OK, I know, I'm a day late. I'm sorry! I'm still sending good thoughts your way! You know, look at it this way. Either you'll pass or you won't. If you do, GREAT! If you don't, you're a leg up for the second time around. :-)

Pam said...

Pretest jitters and anxiety, doubt, etc are all normal. Just do your best and go for it! I'm thinking of you (by now you probably took the darn thing already, but I have been thinking of you!)