BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 28, 2008

Holy Snowstorm, Batman!

It's snowing. Sideways. And really hard.


OK, y'all there are few words I can say that will relate to you just how freaking cold it is outside, and how cold it's going to get this week. So I took a few pictures. I don't usually like to use a lot of pictures, but I felt today warranted it. The first is of my front drive. Notice the lack of visibility of the houses across the street.

The picture below was taken from the drivers side of my van. Keep in mind, it is only 5:00 in the afternoon.

This pic is from our shoppette down the street.

Another from my front yard.
OK. It is 5:30 in the afternoon. The temperature is zero degrees, and the windchill is -28 degrees!



But wait! It gets better! By Thursday, we will have a windchill of -56 below. Yes, I said -56. I can't believe God meant for man to live in weather like this. It's simply inhuman.


It's bad enough being here in our home, with our heater and our blankets. Can you imagine how the Native Americans survived winters like this back when the Mandans, Chippewa, Arapahoe, Dakota, and Cheyenne tribes settles here? All I can say is THANK GOD I was born in a time when we have modern conveniences. I would have been such a whiny bitch if I had lived back then. I am part Native, Cherokee, and I am proud of how my ancestors dealt with their adversity. But I have to hand it to the tribes that lived in what is now the Dakotas. Those were some bad-ass people.


The only good thing to come from this is that the base will most likely go into BLACK condition (meaning nobody can be on the flightline or work outside) tomorrow, and I may get a day off. I'll be crossing my fingers. I just hope we make it through the night without losing power because it would really suck to have no heat. And it sounds like the windows are going to blow in, and the roof is going to come off. Not a pleasant feeling.


Enough whining for one day? Check back tomorrow, I'm sure there will be more, as it's only going to get worse this week. And I'm putting the weather geisha back up because you simply have to see the temps in order to believe them. Later!

8 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

Hmm . . . I can't decide if I should get colder so that you get a black condition, or if I should wish for pleasant weather for you.

I always wondered how the Native Americans survived that misery. And I felt like a wimp for ever complaining about the 2.1 seconds per day I spent in it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I have never seen snow like that before but don't worry; I'd be a whole lot more whiny that you were! Shoot, who am I kidding, I get really whiny when the temps are below 50.

Stay warm!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Good Lord, woman! I'm jealous of the snow but NOT the temperature. Dang! Stay warm and I hope you get tomorrow off!

LunaNik said...

Wow that's cold!!! And I complain about the cold here in Jersey...sheesh.

I have always been drawn to Native American culture. Facinated really. I just can't learn enough about them and my heart breaks at the thought of all of the terrible things our government has done to them throughout history.

Karen said...

I love snow and all, but the wind and sub zero stuff I can do without. Here's hoping for something hot and warm to sip around a fireplace tonight.

Fantastagirl said...

We had that yucky weather last week as in 23 below without the wind, around 43 with the wind. Cold is an understatement. Today it was near 40 above, tomorrow - back to the bitterly cold, rain/snow mix.

here's hoping that you have the black out and get to stay inside!

American Girl in Japan said...

It is hot and humid here in Okinawa, and I'm jealous!!
I tagged you on my site - have a look :)

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Damn, it's 15 degrees here right now, but it feels nice out. To hell with that wind chill factor that you have. We've had chain controls and white out conditions up here, but I'll take that any day over that crazy wind chill! I hope you get the day off. You deserve it! If not, they'd better ply you with plenty of hot something to keep you warm.