BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 28, 2008

Such an important day

January 28 is a very important day in history!


In 1547, Henry VIII died.

In 1915, Congress created the Coast Guard as a branch of the Armed Services, to protect our seas, and to give the Army someone else to make fun of besides the Navy.

In 1973, the US involvement in Vietnam was finally ended when the Paris Peace Accords went into effect.

In 1986, The space shuttle Challenger exploded. This was to be the first mission to send a teacher into space. I'll never forget that day. I was in Art class, 6th grade.

"We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye, and slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God"
President Ronald Reagan

And in 1955, My mother was born!
Here's a picture of what she looked like the year I was born, the year she graduated High School, the year she first got married, 1973.

Isn't she beautiful? She really hasn't changed much, still beautiful. And she has the most perfect teeth on the planet, a trait she sadly did not pass down to me. She is simply the most kind and tender-hearted Southern Belle you would ever hope to meet, and she would give you the clothes off her back if you needed it. Here's a picture of me (her greatest achievement, haha!), in 1974.

She would kill me if she knew I posted her picture online, but I couldn't resist! Sorry the quality isn't the best, they are pretty old pictures.

Happy Birthday Momma!

17 comments:

Pam said...

Happy Birthday MM Momma! What a nice tribute to your momma! I have to say, she is one of my fav people since you gave all of us the joy of you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Military Moms Mom! You are right, she is beautiful.

(I was in my 8th grade Drama III class with Ms. Olsen.)

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Happy Birthday Mom of Military Mom! Hope you had a great day and your picture is beautiful! No need to be angry with your daughter for posting it! :-)

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

happy Birthday MM momma - you must be a TOP MOMMA too because she is so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Aw, that's so sweet. She looks so young!! That's what I think when I see my mother's pictures before she became a momma too. Happy birthday to your Mammy, I'm glad you love her this much ;)

LunaNik said...

Awwww, Happy Birthday Military Grandmamma!!!!

Karen said...

Aww, happy birthday to you Mom!

Fantastagirl said...

I hope she had an awesome birthday!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I hope she had a great day today. I swear I think I had the same Raggedy Ann doll that you have in that photo!

Burgh Baby said...

Happy Birthday, Military Mom's Mom!

bluesleepy said...

Happy birthday to your momma!! Wow, she's really pretty! And you were quite the adorable baby. ;o)

Unknown said...

Best Birthday Wishes to MM's Momma! :) Does she know she's getting birthday wishes from bloggerland?

Military Mom said...

Andrea-As a matter of fact, she does not! I haven't actually ever told her about this blog, because I'm not sure she would like my writing. She is quite a reserved person at times!

Anonymous said...

She is most definitely beautiful. I have always thought so. If you get a chance tell her I said Hi!!!!!

TWH

TheOriginalMonz said...

The 6th grad when the Challenger exploded? Crimeny I'm old! I was at the University of Kansas when that happened! I remember being somewhat ticked off because they spent all day showing the same darned piece of footage, repeating over and over the story, and didn't know "Days of Our Lives" Would Bo live or die? How? Was Stefano really dead?

AudreyO said...

Happy Birthday. Wow, I remember the Challenger. I remember crying and crying over the news. What a sad day.

I have my moms wedding photo, not sure I have one of when I was born. Great post.

Military Mom said...

Thanks for dropping by, Audrey! I don't think there were any photos of my parents wedding. If there were, I never saw any! But I love her school photo.