This is the post I have been dreading and putting off for awhile now. Not because I don't want to write it, but because it is hard to put into words. Forgive me if it is slightly rambling.
Depression is a relative term, I think. I think each person has their own definition of depression. For some it is chemical and treatable, and for others it is devastating in every way. For me, it was ridiculous. I say that because it seems so illogical for me. I knew in my head that the way I was feeling was stupid and pointless. I knew that if I just got out of bed and went about my day I would feel better. I just didn't want to. I wanted to stay in bed and be lazy and feel sorry for myself.
I knew that it was wrong of me to be alone so much and not spend time with my husband and kids. I knew that they missed me and were worried about me. I knew they wondered why I could get out of bed and function when family was in town, but not on a regular basis.
I wanted nothing to do with normal life. I didn't want to work or cook or go shopping. I just wanted to lay in bed and watch stupid TV and be alone to wallow. I didn't want to get dressed because all of my clothes were way to big on me and I looked like I was wearing tents. I didn't want to go out because I had to either wear the itchy and OBVIOUS wig, or deal with the stares because I was bald. I dreaded running into co-workers at the BX or Commissary and knowing they only stopped to chat out of obligation, though it was really awkward. I would get the sad eyes and the question I hated: "how are you feeling?" If I said I felt good, they would be satisfied and leave me alone. I avoided people like the plague.
I had my husband hang a blanket over the window in my room. When I was asleep I was avoiding reality. I called it fatigue, and maybe it was, but mostly it was an escape.
I stopped reading or surfing the Internet. I didn't really care what was going on outside my front door. Oh, I still wanted to be part of the family life, and I missed my husband and kids. It was just hard to deal with the day to day of it all. If I could have curled up under a rock and slept for the remainder of my chemo treatments I would have. I think it might have been easier on the family if that were possible. I know they were all so worried about me.
After my parents came to visit I felt a lot better. I began to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I stopped being quite so self conscious about my hair, or the lack there of. I realized I could stay out of bed without crumbling. I think that by forcing myself to get up and dressed every day, I slowly pulled out of the funk I was in. I also realized that people weren't just pitying me, they were really concerned and really wanted to know how I was doing.
It took awhile, but I slowly came out of hiding.
Friday, September 4, 2009
Depression (Part 4 of 5)
Posted by Military Mom at 11:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This has to be so healing for you to admit to this and write it down. I know for me reading it I feel like I understand a little of what you have been through and how difficult this all has been. I know it is not all over yet but at least the worst part is. I love you and respect and admire you for being strong enough to know what this was all about and now dealing with "back to real LIFE". I love you! ...mom...
That's what I worry about if I'm ever confronted with a life-changing illness/disease such as yours, that I'll never pull out of stage 4. That I'll just lay there, waiting.
I'm so glad you made it through, hon! I'm happy you're on the other side and telling us your story.
Post a Comment