BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Soapbox (sorry)

Am I the only Mom that gets offended by the term "Mr. Mom"?

I was reading this article today off of CNN about a man who was an executive earning over $100K before he got fired due to company restructuring. His wife was already a SAHM and they were just humming along. Now, his wife is out working and he is the SAH Dad. My question is...Why is this headline news?

Why is it so unusual and alarming that men may have to stay home and take care of the kids they helped to create while the wife works? Is it because American society naturally assumes that it is the role of the mother to stay at home and deal with the kids? Have I run on and on about this in previous posts? Probably; it's a hot button with me.

I guess my situation is a little unusual, as I am the military member and my husband is not. He has been a SAHD for awhile, and now he is working again. I guess the point is, that he and I have never really had defined roles when it comes to who takes care of the kids. I kind of resent that because I have a uterus it is automatically my job. You never, ever hear the term "Mrs. Dad".

OK, off the soapbox, for now.

In other news, It has been pretty warm up here is North Dakota the last few days. Now when I say warm, I am of course speaking in relative terms. I mean, when it has been -20 or so for over a month straight, 30 degrees feels downright balmy. I am a little concerned about the amount of snow on my roof. It is situated right over my driveway, on a steep incline. I am afraid I am going to wake up with 4 feel of snow outside my garage! So not fun.

How is your winter going? I know all of this "Global Warming" is killing us. If this Globe warms any more, we are all going to freeze our collective asses off. Did you see the article that the creator of the Weather Channel wrote about Global Warming? Basically made Al Gore look like a boob. Good. Perfect description of that buffoon. Can you tell what side I come down on when it comes to man-made global warming? Don't hate me for my politics please, I respect yours.

Hope you are having a good Super Bowl Sunday. I myself will be hiding in my room watching movies until it is all over-I am so not a football fan, and more importantly, so NOT a Bruce Springsteen fan. Give me Tom Petty ANY DAY over Bruce. He was fabulous last year.

Later Ya'lls.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was trying to send you an email wanting to know if you would like to do a link exchange with my blog, but it kicked back to me as undeliverable. So forgive me for doing it this way.

My Blog: http://www.journalofanaiforcemom.info

the missing r is not a mistake, my daughter is in Basic Training and still has to earn her r for Rank.

If you are interested you can get a hold of me at: freelancewriterforhire@cox.net

For now I send you a virtual hug, since I can't send you a blanket and hot cocoa.

Thank you for your service.

Regina Sunderland

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Mrs. Dad! That one is awesome! I completely agree. It also boggles my mind that people roll their eyes when SAHD or just dads in general start blogs. Like blogging is supposed to be a woman thing. Ugh. BlogHer. Whatever.

And I laughed, too, over the Global Warming letter. That was awesome.

bluesleepy said...

I hate it when it's pointed out how many kids a woman has -- like when Nancy Pelosi became Speaker of the House, and it was such a big deal that she was a mother of five kids. I never knew how many kids Newt Gingrich had, and why not?? Because women never can escape the label of "mother" and are judged as such, while men can leave their private lives at home and be judged solely on their performance at work. Ugh.

So yeah, I agree with you, in other words! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Guess it comes from our roots... I left the room during Bruce... Loves Tom. Also, a funny thing. I hated Metallica when you tried to interduce me to there stuff. Love them now. All there stuff not just the stuff after they sold out. Well, still do not like the song about killing babies. LOL

Just dropping in from time to time.

Tim

Anonymous said...

Sorry My spelling was awfull in the last post....

I loved Tom....
And you introduced me to Metallica...

Must be the COLD min Minnesota, the southern brain cannot handle the cold here.

Tim