BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Career Thoughts

Today I attended my 3rd retirement ceremony in 3 weeks. I love retirements! I love seeing the service member get all emotional and teary eyed, and hearing all the nice things people have to say about them. It's the one time in your career that you have love from everyone, no matter what. The people who like you have nothing but accolades, and those who don't are happy to see you go (haha!). It must be really hard to let go of such a huge part of your life!

The ceremony I attended last week was so nice. It was very informal and intimate. This was a guy whose wife obviously was really involved in the planning. She put together a slide show with all kinds of pictures of the last 20 years. We got to see him evolve from an Airman wearing the old green fatigues, with all kinds of hair, and slim, to the man we know and love, albeit bald and heavier, and in the Woodland BDUs (like in my header). And the slide show had a really cool song from Rush playing (Time For Me to Fly). She even presented him with a USAF Retired ball cap. Very dignified and elegant. And my God, the cake! His wife baked a cake that looked like a Redneck trailer park lot! Down to the last detail, this thing was perfect.

In a stark contrast, the ceremony today was so different. It was formal, all participants were in their dress blues, and it was very by the book. His parents flew in from Wisconsin. At the end, when the guy was making his goodbye speech, he proposed to his wife! With a ring and everything! So romantic and sweet. One thing I must say though, I couldn't believe how his family was dressed! Wouldn't you think that an event as momentous as your husband's retirement would cause you to spruce up a bit? I mean more than wearing sweatpants and a hoodie? And if it is important enough to keep your kids home from school, it should warrant them at least wearing nice jeans with no holes.

Just saying.

All these retirements have me feeling a bit jealous though. My enlistment is up in June. And I swear if I wasn't so "practical" and "responsible" I would really consider jumping ship (so to speak). The last year or so of work has been really tough and stressful, and I find myself getting more and more fed up with it. All the red tape, and the endless inspections and evaluations. All of the headache. And nothing to really look forward to but even more inspections. Of course I know this is a bomber base, and we must be inspected, but it just seems like as soon as we get through one, we are gearing up for the next. No down time. We are all just getting weary.

Also? We have a particularly "difficult" commander at the moment. No answer is good enough for this guy. And even when we do everything right? No recognition. I get the distinct feeling that he has no faith in us at all. Like he expects us to fail, and when we don't, it must have been a fluke. It's funny that before he got here, our squadron was winning awards and were considered to be the best at what we do. Now, we can seem to do nothing right in his eyes. Our former commander was a very personable and encouraging leader. It was an abrupt change, to say the least. I though we would get used to it, but its been almost 2 years. The good news is that commanders only stick around for 2 years, so we get a new commander in June. I guess it could go either way, but I hope for a good change. It really does make a difference, who you're working for.

I sometimes think about what it would be like to not have to go to work, and maybe just go to school full time. I mean, I still have 17 classes to go till my degree is done. It would be awesome to concentrate on that and nothing else. But that is really not me, at least not now. The real me knows that the Air Force is keeping me in school, my family in Health Care, and my retirement fund assured. I know what I am going to do, and I'll do it happily. But I totally reserve the right to fantasize about what could be.

Besides. I want to be able to have my own retirement ceremony someday. Only 8 years to go!

8 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

I think the retirement party that the family is a part of (even down to the last detail on the cake) sounds like my kind of party! I feel bad for this last one.

When the time is right you will know.

Pam said...

I too often think of changing careers. As fantastagirl said- when it is right, you will know. If you are in doubt, think it over and see what you come up with. Either way- I want you to be happy!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

You talking about this reminds me of college. I went to North Georgia College and with all the military students there, you would watch the seniors getting their commissions, knowing they had jobs after college. Then, there were the civilians like me who had no idea what we were doing out of college. It was quite the stark contrast and at times I wondered if I should have been one of those in the ROTC, getting a commission, and a set job.

But, it all worked out in the end. Just as your decision, whatever that may be, will work out for you!

bluesleepy said...

Ugh, I hear you on your difficult job situation right now!! Kurt just got off a ship that sounded very much like your current job. Constant inspections, constant underway time, constant long nights (not getting off till 7 or 8pm -- and then a 2-hour commute home with the ferries). Every time they finished an inspection, they were up for another one. It was INSANE. And the commanding officer of the ship had no problem with morale being awful.

Here's to hoping your new commander in June will be like your previous one that was encouraging and helpful!!

I haven't been to any retirement ceremonies except for my dad's, way back in 1994. I don't remember much of it, but I do know we all dressed up and my mom and my sister were in their uniforms too! There's a few retirement ceremonies coming up; I don't know if I'm supposed to go to them or not. We'll see.

Not Afraid To Use It said...

I hear you on the dressing up part. I just don't get some people. Some of our close family members showed up at my sister's wedding reception in sweatpants and grubby t-shirts. They changed OUT of their church clothes (which weren't particularly churchy anyway) and INTO the sweats. Some people. Show a little freaking respect.

LunaNik said...

Please tell me you're joking about the 8 years. 8 years??!! Really?? That's it?? I totally should have joined the Marines or something like I wanted to years ago. Damn.

Military Mom said...

LunaNik- I wish! I meant 8 more years. I have already done 12 years!

Burgh Baby said...

If you've already got 12 under your belt, you'd be crazy to stop now! Just remember how great that monthly check will be when you're on your second career.

Maybe that commander should just stay there and you should get a new base. Just sayin'.