BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Air Force story

I have been strapped for ideas as of late, due to enormous stress at work, so I invited you to ask questions. You responded so fast! Thanks! I'll try to be thorough.

Bluesleepy asked:
Why did you join the military? What made you choose the AF? Do you enjoy being a service member? What do you see as the pros and cons of being in the military? Do you have any other family members in the military?

This is a story that I think I've told a hundred times to various people over my career, and that's OK, because it's somewhat interesting. For some reason, Airmen really want to know why their superiors joined up in the first place, and this is what I usually tell them...

When I was about to graduate high school (summer school...ahem), I really didn't know what I wanted to do. I had broken up with my boyfriend of almost 4 years recently. There was no money for college, and my grades sucked anyway. My Dad was a Navy lifer, but I never lived with him, so I'm not technically a military brat. I called and talked to him because in the back of my mind I always knew that the military was a calling for me. He told me about his career, and then he begged me not to join up. Not because he thought I couldn't do it, but because of the whole Tailhook scandal that was going on at the time (this was in 1992). He was afraid of how I would be treated. Of course I ignored him and went to talk to a recruiter. I never even considered the Army, Marines, or Coast Guard, too afraid I guess. The Navy recruiter was a complete jerk, and he totally ticked me off within 10 minutes, so I went to talk to the AF recruiter, and he said all the right things. So I joined up. This was July, and I was set to leave in February.

While I was waiting to leave, I worked as a Nanny, and I met Wonderdad (that's another post). In December of 1992, he popped the question, and I called the recruiter the next day and told him that there was no way I was going to boot camp, and my mind was made up. We got married in March 1993. Yep, a very short courtship and engagement. Our oldest son was born in Dec 1994. For the next few years I worked as a receptionist, and I delivered pizza. My hubby worked for a credit bureau in Atlanta.

In early 1996, Wonderdad started having pain in his neck and back, and ended up having to leave his job. Well he was in so much pain, he really couldn't work. We were really going broke and we had a young son. We lived with my mother, and I know he hated that. Something had to be done.

I still felt the pull to join the military, so I (very carefully) approached hubby about it. To my total shock and surprise he was all for it! I couldn't believe he would even consider it. Leaving his whole family and taking off for God knows where just so I can follow my dreams. Well I called the recruiter and told him I was an easy sell, and I was off! We have never regretted it. Never. I went to boot camp in Aug 1996, and we moved to Alaska in April 1997. Since then we have lived in South Carolina, and here in North Dakota. I've been in 11.5 years.

I come from a very Military family. My dad was Navy, and my Grandfather and uncle were both career AF. My other Granddad was in the Merchant Marines, and my step dad was a Marine. My 2 younger brothers as well, one in the Army (now discharged) and the other is still in the AF. I knew what I was getting into. I love this lifestyle. I love knowing that my job makes a difference, not only in the nation's security, but in the lives of the Airmen who work for
me. I love knowing that where ever we go we'll have a home and a paycheck, and medical care. I love knowing my children are safe and secure, and they get to see things and places most kids don't. What I don't like are the long hours with no overtime, the pay sucks, the constant threat of a deployment, and exercises (not like physical, I mean when we practice war fighting capabilities). I also hate having to wear my hair up every single work day, having to iron my uniform all the time, and how my legs hurt after a long day in combat boots, but that's just the job.

I hope I answered all your questions, Blue. Thanks for asking! I'll tackle Pam's question tomorrow,

5 comments:

bluesleepy said...

Thanks for answering!! I love to hear why people join the military. My dad joined the Navy in 1968 after graduating college, but his recruiter sent him to boot camp. He spent 9 years enlisted before he was commissioned as an officer, which really hurt his career. But then he went right back to work for the Navy as a civilian, and was even the web designer for Navy.mil for quite a few years. And he STILL works for the Navy, 40 years later.

My stepmom joined the Navy to earn enough money to adopt a child. But instead she met and married my dad and ended up with my sister and me. But she adopted my brother too, so that was cool.

And many more people in my family are Navy, uncles, granddads, my sister, my BIL... the list goes on! So I married my very own sailor!!!

Again, thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed your story.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was really interesting MM! I didn't expect that story at all! Funny how things worked out for you to follow your dream in the end. I can't believe you gave it up in the first place to get married. You really know what you want and go for it :D Can't wait to hear the next one!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

My dad was a Korean War Marine and the way he talked, you would have thought he was a lifer. Awesome story, hon!

LunaNik said...

that was interesting. i've always harbored a secret desire to join the marines but never have. sometimes, i wish i would have.

Pam said...

That was very interesting! I love hearing stories about why people do/did things in their life. I also love your list of things you enjoy about your job. No job is perfect and some down right stink...but your list of + is bigger then your list of -, so that is good. THanks for sharing!!