Sorry for the silence lately, but I've been feeling quite uninspired. There just hasn't been any burning issues in my mind lately. So I'll just put a few random things out there:
1. I bought a couple of new bras a few weeks ago. Granted, they were cheap from the BX, and I didn't expect them to last forever. But these bras, both of them, lasted about 2 weeks before they were destroyed! I mean, the hooks completely were twisted beyond repair or fell off. I guess you really do get what you pay for. I'm going to Sears and getting Bali's from now on, even if I have to save up for awhile. I am tired of having crappy clothes that don't fit me very well. Maybe I'm just too much of a cheapskate to get the stuff that looks good on me.
2. I got my promotion test date finally, and it is Feb 20th. I have so much catching up to do to be prepared for this test. It's a long shot that I'll make the stripe this year because hardly anyone makes it their first time testing. I'm going to give it my best shot though. I really could use the money, sure. But I really just want to move to the next level in my career. I have never been one to stagnate in one position too long. I've been a Technical Sergeant for almost 3 years now, and I am ready to move on. So if the posts are scattered and boring for the next few weeks, its because I am brain fried from studying.
3. It was 40 degrees here the last 2 days! The snow has been melting. Of course in ND, when we get a few days of warm, it usually means we are about to get slammed with sub-zero temps for the next month or so. We'll see. I deleted the weather geisha because I think my blog is looking a little cluttered. What do you think?
4. My daughter (5) has been bugging me for awhile about having a little sister. I have explained to her that it is impossible, because I had a tubal when she was born, but she is just not getting it. I feel bad for her because her brothers play together and she is often left out. I think now is the only time I have had any pangs of regret about getting them tied. I am certain I do not ever want to be pregnant again, but I wish she had another girl to play with. She has been taking to trying to play dress up with Wonderdad lately, and he is so good that he plays along, but I know he really hates it. What a good dad! Sometimes I wonder just how hard and expensive adoption would be. Like for an older child, like 4 or 5, not a baby. Wishful thinking, right? We can barely afford the 3 we've got!
5. I get to start school again in a couple of months! I have about 18 classes to go, so I doubt I'll graduate this year; maybe next year. It seems like I have been in school forever. I started school in 2001! And I still have just under half way to go. It sucks when you can only take 1 or 2 classes at a time. It should never take a person 8 years to graduate!
6. My sweet little sister, Little Diver, has had a rough last couple of months! She got demoted at work, because her boss couldn't afford to keep her as a manager. She needs to find a new job in order to a. get paid! and b. keep her sanity! If you're one of those people that prays a lot, please remember her this week. She could use it.
7. I am totally deleting my MySpace account. I am getting too much spam lately. The only thing I hate is that it would delete the IM that my sister and I use. I'm gonna try to get her to switch to Yahoo messenger.
OK, random enough for you? I am all over the map today. Seems like I've been saying that a lot lately, doesn't it?
Sunday, January 6, 2008
More Random Stuff
Posted by Military Mom at 11:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
The BX doesn't sell Bali? They do at our NEX. I can't wear Bali -- they don't come in my size. I have to either get mine online or go to Nordstrom's. Hmph.
Oooo your test date is my birthday!! Now I won't forget it. ;o)
So a Technical Sergeant is an E-6? I just looked it up on Wikipedia. Kurt was an E-6 for five years; his rate usually gets stagnated at E-6. Making E-7 is a huge deal in the Navy, though. You take a test AND you have to go before a board to be hand-selected by other Chiefs and Senior Chiefs and Master Chiefs. Then you become part of this select group, almost like a brotherhood. I don't think any other branch of the military has anything similar.
I'll be rooting for you to be promoted!
TSgt is E-6, and E-7 is the last rank you can make solely on testing. Of course decorations and performance reports figure in to it, it's a complicasted formula. My Dad retired from the Navy as an E-7 at 26 years. So if I can make E-7 in 12 years I will be really proud! I know the Navy is a lot different than the AF as far as promotions go. My Dad is always telling me to negotiate my next enlistment with assignments and such, and that is just not an option in the AF. Is the Navy still like that? You can make requests and negotiate when you re-enlist?
I really don't know if the BX has bali's or not, I never really looked! I guess I just assumed. I'll have to look tomorrow. Like I said, I'm a cheapskate. Thanks!
My father retired from the Navy after 26 years too! He started out enlisted, though he had gone to college first, and was promoted all the way to Senior Chief (though he never accepted it) before he was commissioned as an officer (which is why he turned down Senior Chief). He became a Lieutenant Commander, O-4, before he retired.
Kurt's enlistment is up in 2010. He can re-enlist up to 9 months before the actual date, or he could extend his enlistment up to two years past that without officially re-enlisting. At the moment he is on an extension. If he hadn't extended, the Navy wouldn't have given him these orders. They didn't want to spend the money to train him to become an instructor when he would just get out of the Navy and not re-enlist once he got here. He could have re-enlisted before he transferred to get the orders, but he's holding out to see if the Navy will offer him a big signing bonus before 2010. At the moment, he is not eligible at his rank and rate for a signing bonus.
As far as orders go, the openings available to him vary from month to month. There were four openings for him (including this command in RI) when he was looking for new orders. But when we needed orders in 2003 (he thought he was going to work on the Navy's hovercraft, but he wasn't able to make it through flight screening), there was just one opening -- and that was a ship stationed in Washington state. So it just all depends on the day of the month or something the day of the week!!
Do Air Force people move as often as the Navy does? We move just about every duty station, though you *could* homestead somewhere if the base is large enough. We've been married since 2001 and we're living in our third state.
I love randonmess.....but you know that! ;)
Good luck with the promotion...I hope you get it. You know, adoption is a great thing...maybe you could look into it. I would never adopt a baby...once Riley is out of this stage, the sleepless nights and I will no longer be friends. I am not good like this! I am a much better person with sleep. Anyway...getting back on track! If you are even remotely interested- it doesn't hurt to talk about it and look into it. There are lots of kids - especially older kids- who need good homes and are waiting for someone to love them. Though it is hard too because sometimes they have issues.
Good luck with school too! My hubby starts his classes tomorrow. He is the eternal student. He collects degrees- I am starting to think it is his hobby! But, hey, there are worse things, right?!
What about taking in a foster child? I think the state gives you monthly checks to help with the bills also. It wouldn't hurt to look into it.
Good luck with your studies!
1. OK, get your butt down here to Atlanta and I'll take you to get a proper bra fitting and non-BX-type bras!
2. Yeah! Glad you know the date! You sound like my great friend Ian. He's AF Major and every time he has a check ride (is that right), we hear about it. He's a Nervous Nellie, that one!
3. Yeah, I don't want sub-zero weather, but one snow would be nice for the kids.
4. Again, get down here! We've got a princess and know a couple of others to hook your girl up with!
5. Just keep chanting, "I won't be in school forever. I won't be in school forever."
6. Thinking of you, Little Diver!
7. Yeah. Never had a MySpace account. Not gonna have one. It sounds way too overrated.
Heather-you're right, Myspace IS way too overrated. It started as a way to talk to my brothers and sister, but it got out of control. Deleted as of next saturday. I just may get to Atlanta sometime this year, my parents still live in Cumming, and a few inlaws too. We may venture down this summer, maybe we can hook up! Thanks for the nice comments!
I found you via Pam, and I really want to know how the heck it took me so long. Oh, how I do NOT miss Minot and all of the joy that is there (actually, I don't think there is much joy there, other than a lot of my family). But it's still nice to read about somebody else living there!
Anyway, hiya! from a former AF brat stationed at MAFB that married a former MAFB wingnut.
My dad was a Tech Sargent in the Air Guard for about 18 years of his 35 (and counting!) career and got promoted about 5 years ago (I think, he's been in so long, I forget the timeline). Of course, he didn't do the testing, so he had to wait for a spot to open up and apply with guys half his age and a college education. He's in the USANG in South Dakota, so he's not that far from you!
Good luck!
Post a Comment