BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Writers vs. Daily Journals




I have never aspired to be a great writer. I hate writing papers for school, and I don't really like writing letters and such. The most "real writing" I ever have to do is Enlisted performance reports and decorations and technical stuff like that. I did get the idea once to write a childrens book about military life, but that never materialized, and I dropped it (but anyway). With that said, I can tell you that I very much enjoy reading real writer's blogs. Those who have the ability to put their thoughts on paper (or screen) and have it not only make sense, but be eloquent and entertaining. There are 2 kinds of blogs that I read, the real writers, and the daily or weekly journals.


My blog is of the journal variety because it basically is just a log of my activities with a few opinions thrown in. I like to share opinions and my thoughts on news items or ideas that pop into my head. It doesn't change anything and I generally try not to hurt feelings or make waves. I guess the only reason I do it at all is because I like to put my thoughts out there and have a place to vent. Maybe someone will read it and comment, maybe not, but it is still therapeutic to me. It makes me feel like I made my point without the fall out in real life. I think the only people in my life that even read it are my sister and husband. All the rest are "cyber-friends" whom I've never met, but still like to think I know a little bit about and have come to respect.


Then there are the blogs of the "real writer" variety. These blogs are written by obviously talented people who have a flair for entertaining and making a statement. These people could very well be journalists or writers in real life, I'm not sure, but they are a real pleasure to read. It's almost like reading a magazine article. Like essays, rather than journal entries. Maybe someday I will make it to this level, but probably not because I just don't have the talent, and that's ok.


I'm not saying that either of these 2 types are any better than the other. Saying everyone should be great writers is like saying everyone should serve in the military, its rediculas. If everyone were in the military, who would we be fighting for? If everyone were great writers, who would be the readers? I just want to acknowledge the difference, and tip my hat to everyone who bothers to write anything, and make my day a little more interesting. The Journal types give me glimpse into their lives and make me feel like I have a friend. The writers are a little more reserved with their personal lives, but entertain and make me think about my own feelings and ideas all the more. Thanks! So here is a list of the blogs that I read regularly, and in no particular order. Nothing required, this is not an assignment, just an acknowledgement and a hearty thank you.


Daily Journals:

Little Diver -little sister's blog






Musings of a Chick -She rocks, and she makes me laugh




Writers:

My 2 Cents -WonderDad's blog



Cardiogirl -so gifted, and so busy, when does she find the time to blog?

Viva La Vie Boheme -a girlfriend from highschool. I haven's seen her in almost 20 years, but I love her writing, and she has a beautiful soul.



Cruise on by if you get a chance. You won't be sorry. And again, thanks to all of these ladies and gentlemen who give me a chance to unwind and get out of my own head for awhile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh MilitaryMom, you're making me verklempt.

Remember Coffee Talk on SNL with Linda Richman. It was Mike Meyers in drag and he would say, "You're making me verklempt.

"Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. The Cold War did not take place in Winter, why was it named The Cold War? Discuss."

Thanks again! You're very kind!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm really not sure what to say here. I have never once thought of myself as a "real writer" so I am quite flattered.

I have really enjoyed reading your blog, but because of a self (or family) induced blog funk I have been really, really bad at commenting.

Thanks again for the great compliment and I look forward to checking out all of the other blogs that you linked to!

Pam said...

Wow! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting...I didn't even know you were out there until you left me that comment today! Thanks for the shout out in your blog as well! I'm so glad you left me a comment, now I can stop by your blog and read away! I love finding new blogs to read and new blogs friends to connect with. So glad that my ranting and raving didn't scare you off!

By the way- I love the show Army Wives!

Sudiegirl said...

Thanks so much! I appreciate the "rock" opinion.

I am sorry I didn't discover your blog before, but I guess that means I'll have to make up for lost time, huh?