BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Living Arrangements/Halloween

I was browsing the net trying to find to blog topic, and I ran across this article about a couple in New York that have been married for 14 years, have 6 year old twin boys, and HAVE NEVER LIVED TOGETHER! Now you know I have opinions on this...



What a strange arrangement. At first I thought that it was no big deal; maybe they just have such different styles and taste that they were incompatible living together. Maybe they work on opposite sides of the city. Maybe they just annoy each other, who knows.



But the more I thought about it, the more I wondered what made them even get married in the first place? Doesn't marriage require a level of commitment that encompasses learning to live with your spouse's weirdness? Wouldn't you expect to have to change a little bit to please your spouse? I mean, no couple is 100% compatible, are they? My husband and I are so different that we laugh about it. He loves country music, I love rock. He is much neater than me. He likes it cold, I like it hot. He likes meat and potatoes, and I like more ethnic type foods like pasta and Asian foods. The point is, we make sacrifices for each other. When we are in the car together, we never argue over the radio, we just put up with it till one of us gets out of the car, then I change it (hehe). And he didn't give me crap when I wanted to get all 3 of my tattoos, though he has none and probably never will.



It's not just him that compromises though. I don't mind that there is some form of football or sports game on practically 24 hours a day in my house, though I hate sports. I have even learned to wear heavier clothes in the house because he gets too hot if I am just comfortable. My point is, even though we don't always agree about how we live, we will never live apart if we can help it (assuming the AF doesn't throw a wrench in that). I could never imagine denying my kids their Dad for even 1 day on purpose.



What must their kids think? Probably not much because they are young. But when they get older I'll bet there will be some heavy duty explaining to do. It seems incredibly unfair that the mother has the burden (and joy) of the kids living with her full time. When they get sick-her. Taking them to school-her. Night time wake ups-her. What does he ever have to do? Show up for dinner and little league? Must be rough. And doesn't he miss all the little joys of Daddyhood? Like early morning snuggles, and bedtime stories? What about money? Share, or separate? Does he pay child support I wonder? They are living as if they were a divorced family.



I guess the bottom line is it's really not my business, but if it works for them, what the heck. And, if they didn't want to get opinions, why would they write a story for MSNBC about it in the first place? To me it seems incredibly selfish. Maybe they are happy, but I'll bet their kids miss having a full time Dad, and she has to be a little bit resentful. I would be. If I were their kids I would wonder why Mom and Dad didn't love each other enough to live in the same home. OK, I've said enough. What are your opinions?





On a personal note, Halloween was pretty good. I took Babygirl and 9 year old boy around the neighborhood and they had a blast. But some fool gave Babygirl a bottle of bubbles (grrr) without a lid, just the foil over the top. And you know it leaked all over her candy bucket. We had to throw away a good bit of her candy. Disappointing, but no matter,we have MORE than enough to compensate. The weather was perfect! 45 degrees in October is awesome for Minot ND. I didn't take any pictures though, sorry (bad Mommy). So I'm off to work out a bit and get a mile or more on my weekly ticker. Later!

1 comments:

Little Diver said...

I see your point on the whole separate living thing...but...think back to the time it was her...even if he...was there. I remember and still live with those days. I bet the bitterness is less because he is not helping while still in the house. Which would be worse? Living together and no help or distant living and not having to do his laundry, smell his farts, and deal with his unhelping manly issues? I am torn on this???!!! Just kidding...I love living with my man...most of the time. I also love it when he leaves and goes to his friends house to give me piece of mind. Weird. The perfect thing would be to have two separate parts of the house and one community bedroom-when we felt the mood-I would atleast get some of the bed and covers!!!!!!
That is just my point of view today...it could change tomorrow though!!! loves you!