BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Getting Back on the Wagon

The last few weeks have been so bad, fitness-wise at least! I added the new ticker (above) so that I can try to keep myself motivated to get out there and run. Yesterday I saw my good friend Jake running in the neighborhood, and I felt so guilty. I know I have been backsliding lately, and I need to do so much better.

Realizing I am by no means a marathon runner, like SOME people (ahem, Jake), I decided to keep my goal attainable. I am starting out at 5 miles a week. Considering I usually run 1.5 miles at a time when I do run, I think I can attain that. When I attain the 5 miles a week and can sustain it, I will shoot for a higher number. My friend Amy and I have a goal of running a 10K (6 miles). When exactly this will happen is any one's guess, considering she lives in Alaska and I am in North Dakota, but its a goal nonetheless. Before she left last May, she and I completed our first 5K. Man that was a great feeling. I don't think I could do it now to save my life, and that really makes me mad. I just need to put the feet to the road and get it done.

I went to my mandatory squadron fitness class this morning, and we had an instructor that really just ticked me off. I know I am not a great runner, but he really made me feel like a fat, lazy cow. When he asked me my last run time for the 1.5 mile and I said truthfully "15:30", he actually made a face and rolled his eyes at me. It was all I could do not to get angry and say something back to him. If he wasn't 2 ranks above me, I probably would have. But after he assigned me to the slug group (sigh...) and we did our run, I really just could feel his disapproving eyes on me, and he tried to give me advice on that I need to do to improve. Now I don't want to be flip, but I know how to improve; it's been beat into our heads the last 4 years. There's no big secret, just get up and MOVE, preferably for a long period of time. I now you need to be able to run 2 miles at a time to be able to run 1.5 at a good pace. I also now that I really do need to improve, and I hate having it pointed out to me when it is already so painfully obvious. And, I'd like to add, that I was NOT the only (or even the worst) runner in the group this morning. There are lots of people in my squadron that are in far worse shape that I am. I'm just average, but could use improvement. Maybe its just my own insecurities that I need to deal with. Oh heck, I know it is. The Sergeant is a good guy generally, I was just mad at him this particular morning.

I had another root canal this morning. This was the final leftover of the evil bike crash that basically altered my life when I was 13. Because of this crash, I have had major esteem issues with my teeth over the years. Being a teenage girl with bad front teeth (and scars on my arm) is just not something anyone should have to deal with. I never wanted to smile or show my teeth to anyone, and I got called quite a few stupid names back then. Well, the Air Force has been a huge help in making my teeth healthier and more appealing. Earlier this year I had permanent crowns done, so they finally look OK. Hopefully after the root canal this morning, I can finally put that chapter to rest. According to the dentist, I will not need any more maintenance or fillings or anything having to do with the front teeth. I guess we'll see, but it's been such a constant in my life I find it hard to believe its over. After sleeping off the pain in a Motrin induced nap, I feel much better.

Looks like Wonder Dad will be starting a part time job here on base next week. I am proud of him, because I know its not what he wants to do, but he knows we could use the money.

That's all for now, here's to a peaceful night (without snow hopefully). Night!

2 comments:

Trish K said...

Good luck with the running. I am trying to get back to it too. I was able to comfortably run 5 miles when my youngest was a baby (she's now 6 ugh).

That stinks that the instructor made you feel bad, he shouldn't have rolled his eyes and called you out like that. Hang in there.

Military Mom said...

Thank you so much Trish K! I visited your site, and enjoyed it very much. I'm adding you to my blog roll. Good luck with your running as well. I hope to get to know you!