So I'm totally exhausted today because I stayed up way too late last night finishing my latest installment of Chick Lit. I read Baby Proof by Emily Giffin. The book was pretty good, and I'll probably read her other books. But there was one little nagging thing about this book that bothered me.
The book is about Claudia, a New Yorker 30something who is married to Ben. When they met and married they both wanted the same things-freedom, spontaneity, and definitely NO KIDS. After a few years, Ben changes his mind and decides he can't not have a kid, and they divorce. The author does a pretty good job about not playing the blame game, or making one or the other out as a villain; they just happen to want different things. The problem is, Claudia desperately loves Ben and wants him back, but she cannot see herself ever being a mother.
Now I have always subscribed to the "not all women should be mothers" camp. I really believe that being a mother is a calling, and a privilege that not all women are cut out for. And that's perfectly OK. Many women can and do lead happy, productive, and love filled lives without children. Nobody ever asks a bachelor why he made the decision not to reproduce; but for a woman to decide not to have a kid labels her as selfish to some people. Not me. I applaud the woman (or man for that matter) that recognizes the fact that they should not be a parent. If more people did, there would not be as many foster kids in the system, or abused children.
OK, back to the book. The thing that nagged me about this book was the ending. And I'm just going to come right out ruin the ending for you, so quit reading if you don't want to know. In the end, Claudia decides that in order to get Ben back, she'll do anything, including having his baby for him. We are not given the opportunity to see whether or not they ever do have a kid, but we can assume its now in the cards.
Why does this bother me? Because throughout the whole book I was so proud of Claudia for sticking to her principles and not letting herself get pushed into a life she never wanted. I feel like in the end she decided that Ben's dream was more important than hers. And as long as she got her man, she would just appease him by having a baby-and that is no way to look at motherhood. Motherhood is so much more than dealing with a few sleepless nights and yucky diapers. It is a lifelong commitment that should NEVER be entered into lightly. I am also a little irked that Ben got to break the deal they made when they married, and there is no retribution, he gets everything he wanted and only she has to sacrifice. All in all this was a very good, but thought provoking book; one that I'm sure will bring out as many opinions and passions as there are people to read it.
So I guess for a silly Chick Lit book, I made it into a whole social commentary, but hey, as my boss would say-That's how I roll! Well I had to write about something today, didn't I? Maybe my next book will bring a cheerier commentary-I'm about to start Confessions of a Supermom! by Melanie Lynne Houser. Hopefully the book is as good as the title!
Happy Saturday, and Happy weekend everyone! 3 day weekend for us Military Moms. Its rainy and COLD in Minot ND this weekend. Here's to another week before the snow starts to fall (fingers crossed!)

0 comments:
Post a Comment