Last night we had the birthday party for my middle boy, who is 9 today. It was loud and hectic and expensive, but I think fun was had by all. 4 of the kids stayed for a sleepover, and I think he had a pretty good time. It was our first time having a full on sleepover party in the house and I was a little worried about the noise level. I was pleasantly surprised. The boy spent half of the night trying to convince his friends that the house is haunted. Never mind the fact that this house is only 4 years old and nobody had ever died here, that's beside the point. Then he spent the other half of the night trying to convince them that it is not haunted, after he freaked them all out. By 11:30 or so, everyone was quiet, and I'm calling that a victory! Today is just a day to recover and get the house back in order. Labor Day has never been a big holiday in our home because of my son's birthday, and it is my father's birthday as well. It is nice to have a long weekend to unwind and get things done.
Speaking of birthday parties, when did they get to be such a big production? When I was a kid, a birthday party meant kids coming over after dinner for cupcakes and ice cream and bringing a present. It lasted maybe an hour, and then it was over. Now, people have huge theme parties and spend a huge amount of money! I have been to parties for small children (who were too young to even care) that were just crazy. We decided to get back to basics. I have never subscribed to keeping up with the Jones' or trying to impress, but I don't want to shortchange my kids either. This time we went with pizza, cake, and ice cream. No clowns, bouncy castles, or goody bags. And you know what? He had a great time, and they all played outside, and we all had fun. And it didn't break the bank either. Lets hope the girl will be just as happy when its her birthday!
I am new to this whole blogging world, but I have several friends and family who are old pros. My dear husband, known online as My 2 cents, and my friend, Big Sibling, are the inspiration for this blog. I am not really out to make a point or protest for or against anything. I'll just see where this takes me, and try to have a little fun with it.
I hope you all have a great week, mine should be interesting! I'll keep you posted...
I hope you all have a great week, mine should be interesting! I'll keep you posted...

2 comments:
Good for you for keeping the bday party simple and sweet. Really, what more do kids want than pizza and the chance to run around until they nearly puke? I think you totally got it right, and if more moms thought like you there would be WAY less stress at birthday/holiday time! LOL
But what I want to know is, what is up with the gift bags? Why do kids who attend a party need swag? I don't get it. When I was a kid, the birthday kid got presents, everyone else didn't. It was simple and we all understood it. Now, we have to have gift bags? And I'm putting all the blame for that one on grandparents!
Post a Comment