BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Getting closer to the end...

OK, I know it's been awhile, but I have actually been pretty busy (compared to the last few months). My parents left yesterday morning after having been here for a week. My brother and his kids were in town also. So I was up and around, and actually left the house quite a bit.

Having my parents here was such a blessing. Of course it was good for the house, as they are both so helpful, but it was great for me and the kids to recharge our batteries. It had been a year since I'd seen my step-dad, and I missed them so much. I know it was a long trip, but thank you both for coming. We miss you already.

Yesterday I had my second to last chemo treatment. That means that in 2 weeks I will have my last treatment, then I will be done. I am completely believing that the cancer is gone and that I am cured. Yeah I know that there is that 10-20% chance that it will come back, but I am just not going to focus on that right now. All I want is to get my life back to as close to normal as possible. I still have another month before I have to go back to work. By then all of the drugs will be out of my system and I should be able to start gaining some weight. Do you know how surreal that is? For the last 15 years all I have been obsessed with was losing 20 lbs. Now I have to gain at least 20 lbs. How wild is that? I thought that losing weight would make such a difference in my life. Now I can honestly say that I would love to be at my old weight again. I can't stand being this thin and I hate how I look. I am hovering between 100 and 105 lbs, and I think I look skeletal. I am only 5 foot 2.

I think the thing I am most looking forward to in the coming months (besides getting my energy level back) is growing my hair and being able to BRUSH it again. I really, really miss washing and brushing my hair. Yeah, it's the little things I guess. That, and being in uniform again, and working out. I am starting to feel very civilian lately. Not that that is a bad thing, but I miss my career and the work I was made to do. I even miss the combat boots and having to put my hair up. I guess I won't have to worry about the hair thing for awhile. I would kill to have a pony tail again.

I also really miss being in school. I am anxious to get back in classes and finish up my degree. Only 11 classes to go,and hopefully I can graduate late next year or early in 2011. Man, that sounds like a long way off. I thought I would be done by now. But I really didn't count on having to take almost a year off to fight cancer. What a time suck. But very soon, this will be over and I will start my life again. Be prepared for more upbeat posts and a happier, more positive Military Mom. Count on it.

4 comments:

Fingercuffs said...

Yay, you posted! Good to know you are still hanging in there. And just so you know, I'm fairly certain I have 20 pounds that I can spare, and you are more than welcome to it. ;)

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I'm so glad your parents were in visiting and that you had a good time with them. And I'm so very happy that your chemo is almost done! WOO HOO!!!! That's got to be the best "light at the end of the tunnel" ever!

I'm with you. Positive thoughts only. Focus on the negative and it will bring you down every time. And I'm with Fingercuffs. I got that extra 20 lbs right here if you need it. :)

Love you, hon, and am glad you're almost there. :)

bluesleepy said...

YAY! You're almost finished!! And I'm sending loads of positive vibes that you have kicked this cancer, and it won't be showing its face around you anymore. If we all believe it, it'll come true!!!

Just focus on getting healthy again. I know you can do it, and we're all here cheering you on.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Glad to hear your parents were able to be so helpful. You are a lucky one. I look forward to reading all about these positive milestones. We're cheering for you.