Hello, all you happy people (points for getting the Droopy Dog reference)! How is your weekend going?
I woke up to one hell of a storm this morning, and it lasted until about noon. We got some good marble sized hail, lots of rain, and a few scared kitty cats! But did that stop us from heading downtown anyway? I just had to get off this base for awhile!
Life here on Minot AFB has been pretty, shall we say "interesting" for the last year or so. And the hits just seem to keep coming! I mean, c'mon, have you read the news lately? It seems like the Air Force is slowly self-destructing. I'd love to believe it is just a coincidence that all of these things keep happening, but I just don't know anymore. I won't detail all the chaos, if you're interested, just Google Minot AFB.
I started my new job last week. For the past few years I have had a very comfortable position as my squadron training manager. I DIDN'T say it wasn't stressful, but it was comfortable. It kept me inside during the winter (bonus), and there was no physical labor involved. Oh well, I guess all good things must end eventually. Now I am running a maintenance shop, and I really like it. I have about 20 people in my shop, and they are all smarter than me about the job. I have never worked with munitions trailers before, and they have been working on them for years. Also? They have NEVER had a female boss before. So far I haven't gotten any negative vibes or anything, and THANK GOD for that. I was a little worried, but I think I it was just my nerves. I have a very competent crew, and I am proud of them. And they are really helping to smarten me up on the trailer, and that makes me feel better. I have definitely been dropped out of my comfort zone. And it's a good thing. The bad thing is that the SSgt they got to replace me in my stressful but comfy desk job is going on leave for 3 weeks. So not only do have to get used to my new job, I have to fill in and do my old job for another 3 weeks. Then I'll have to re-train her when she gets back, because I know she'll forget what I taught her 2 weeks ago.
In other news, I got my hair cut today, for the first time in over a year. I also got a stern talking to from the stylist for letting it go so long. Apparently it's not just the ends that go bad after awhile, but they can drag down your roots and make them suffer too. Who knew? My old (non)style was very long and very straight (think Carrie-like). Sorry for the gruesome pic. I've had that hairstyle for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time, like years and years. Now it looks more modern and fun (like Sandra's, but lighter. Nice, huh?) It feels SO much better. All that heaviness was cut off, and I hope it's a big improvement.
OK, now I'm off to enjoy a "spot o' tea" and watch Juno, which is an excellent movie. My favorite line in the movie is when her Dad says "When I see that Bleaker kid I'm gonna punch him right in the wiener." You think that's the joke, but them her Mom says "C'mon, you don't think it was HIS idea, do you?" Classic. Poor Bleaker.
Happy Saturday night ya'll.
Saturday, August 2, 2008
Haircuts and Hail
Posted by Military Mom at 7:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Glad to hear you are shaking up the job comfort level. Sounds like it was just what you needed. I want pics of the new hairdo, though! I posted mine, now it's your turn!
I know I'm seriously slow getting over here, but I'm glad you are still updating from time-to-time.
Aaah, the joys of Minot. And the joys of munitions. At least it keeps things interesting, right?
That is pretty cool. You know my dad was in dealt with munitions when he served. Well, I though it was cool. Never pictured you doing it. You Rock. Always knew you could do what ever you want. I have been sitting at a desk for a few years now. Work is really interesting, and the money is good -- but I miss the getting my hands dirty. Hope you do not mind me looking in from time to time. My Space is out of control so Kimmie and some others are trying Face Book. Look us up sometime.
Tim-O-T
That is pretty cool. You know my dad was in dealt with munitions when he served. Well, I though it was cool. Never pictured you doing it. You Rock. Always knew you could do what ever you want. I have been sitting at a desk for a few years now. Work is really interesting, and the money is good -- but I miss the getting my hands dirty. Hope you do not mind me looking in from time to time. My Space is out of control so Kimmie and some others are trying Face Book. Look us up sometime.
Tim-O-T
Post a Comment