You all know that I am an aspiring athlete, right? Have I ever mentioned that?
I have always been in awe of women who could run long distances. Those who have the strong muscular body with not much fat, just MUSCLE. I want so badly to be like that. You would think that with the job I have, it wouldn't be too hard, but it has been a real struggle for me. I even get time off during duty to work out, and I always seem to find something more important (to others, not me) that has to be done.
I recently re-read a book called Run For Your Life, by Deborah Reber, and it has inspired me to try again. 
The reason I mention this book, is because it is one of the few fitness books that does not insult average people. This book assumes that you are a beginner and it uses language a girl like me can understand. It does not assume you are skinny or athletic. It basically de-mystifies running, and makes it seem a little less daunting. I can read this book in 2 days because it is a very good read, and it always stokes my motivation a lot. I have to really love a book to reccommend it to friends, so take my word, it's a good one.
My usual exercise routine consists of doing push ups, stretching, and maybe using hand weights before bed. When that bellydancing show, Shimmy, is on FitTV, I always work out with that. It's a lot of fun! On Wednesday mornings, I go to squadron led PT and I get a very thorough workout with weights and resistance. I haven't done too much cardio in awhile, and this is my weakest area. I used to run 3 times a week when my good friend Amy lived here. We would run together, usually 2 miles or so. Since she moved last June, I have been so bad about it! The last good run I had was right around Thanksgiving. I really need to step it up here, so I am dusting off the treadmill again, and getting back on the wagon. First step, tonight I will jog for 1.5 miles, and probably walk for a mile.
Don't worry, I am not turning this into a weight loss blog, because I am not really trying to lose weight, although losing about 3 inches would be a huge help. I probably will write a little bit about my workouts once in awhile, at least until I am over this kick. My fitness test is in May, and my goal is to run the 1.5 in 14 minutes. Last year I ran it in 15:35, so I really have to get in gear. Wish me luck, I'm off to take the first steps.
8 comments:
Wow, a mile and a half in 14 mins? That's pretty good!! Good luck to you!
Kurt runs the mile and a half between 13 and 13:30, but he's a man so he has to run it more quickly. He has to run it under 13:45! I'm so glad I'm not a man.
15:35 is a good time for that kind of run. sounds like you're gonna get in good form and run, run, run! i'm routing for you, girlie. good luck!
:)
maria
I wish I WANTED to work out. It isn't that I want to lose weight or develop muscles, I just want to be a bit healthier. I avoid running at all costs because I feel awkward like my bits are flying everywhere :/ I should get a treadmill and start slow in the comfort of my own home, where nobody can see me ;)
I am totally rooting for ya, babe! I think that is an EXCELLENT goal to have. Post as much as you like about it--we're your cheering sections!! Go! Go! Go! And were aren't there in person see you sneak a bite of chocolate every now and then.
Good luck! I really need to get my exercising back on track...but, well, when would I blog?? ;) I hope you can get back into your running and you enjoy it. Are you making a ticker again for it? Good luck!
And, good luck with your test coming up so soon!!
I thought I was back on the wagon, but got a crud and fell off. GAD! I'll be glad when it's spring!
I applaud your efforts Momma! Living with a Marine makes my push toward running almost seem futile. On his last PFT he ran 3 miles in 20 minutes. Of course, he's 36 years old, so I think he's a God :).
Either way, I'd love to be your online PT partner! We could keep each other motivated.
Although I am not a runner...AT ALL... I am in complete awe of muscular women.
I used to subscribe to Muscle and Fitness Hers and was also an avid weight lifter (my dad was a body builder so I guess that's where my obsession comes from).
Before I had kids, you know, when I had the time to work out extensively, I had the most incredible biceps you have ever seen...
Seriously, they were badass!!!!
Post a Comment