BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Warm Fuzzies


I haven't been around the last couple of days because I was in Bismarck,ND with my family. My oldest boy (12) had to have some minor (to us, major to him!) surgery this morning. He's sore, but otherwise doing very well. What I wanted to talk about is the place where we stayed last night-the Ronald McDonald House.


A couple of years ago, a young troop of mine was called home from a deployment because his wife, who was pregnant with twins, went into very early labor. While they were going through the whole ordeal, they stayed in a Ronald McDonald house in Denver, where the twins were born. The hospital here in Minot just isn't equipped to handle certain things. Unfortunately his twins did not make it. The little girl was still born, and the boy lived only a day or two. But while they were there, they were treated very well and had so many nice things to say about the House. Everyone was so sad about his loss that we kind of forgot about the people who helped them get through it the most.

I'd heard if it. I've probably even donated to it from time to time, via the little boxes at the McD's counter. But I never really knew what it was all about until last night. We qualified to stay there because we had a sick child and we lived far enough away from the hospital. They offered, so we said OK, why the heck not? It will save us a hotel charge, and having to get up and drive from Minot at 0400. We were told it would cost us a whopping $10. When we got there, a very nice girl who looked all of 16 showed us to our room. It was a comfortable, but small room with a twin bed, a queen bed, and a cot. Very homey. Then we saw the rest of the house. This place was huge! It surprised us because from the outside it looked like every other house on the street, about average size. There was a full kitchen and dining room, several sitting rooms, and a play room for smaller kids. There was also a game room with a pool table and a ping-pong table. The kids all had a great time and we got to bed at a good hour.

After a full day at the hospital we were just ready to get home and crash! But we still had to go back to the Ronald McDonald house and check out. When he (Wonderdad) got there, they told him the $10 was just a deposit that was refundable. Of course, we could donate it to the house, and we did. Then (and this is the kicker) they gave EACH of the kids a hand made quilt, and a stuffed friend! They also gave us a basket filled with treats and crayons and such, and 2 new board games. Can you believe that? I mean, we have never been treated so nice by any other place. And it really made for a nice ride home too, especially the quilts because girls, it's cold here. I know our son's surgery wasn't on the scale of my troop's need, but it really made us feel welcome. And it saved us about $80 that we really couldn't afford to spend. These people really do provide an important service to families that just need a little comfort. I can't imagine the money it would have cost us if we had to spend several nights or weeks with a child sick in a hospital far from home. So in short, we love the Ronald McDonald house, and it will be added to the list of my favorite charities. And, when you see the little boxes at the counter, please drop your change in, it's really for a worthy cause.

Here is a picture of the quilts and soft toys they gave the kids.

6 comments:

Pam said...

That is awesome! I hope you son is doing well and recovers from his surgery well. The Ronald McDonald House- that rocks! I will be sure to drop some change in there next time and to give back a bit. I always wonder where the money goes, etc - but with a story like this- I know it would go for what it is intended for. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful that there are places out there like the Ronald McDonald House. They make such a difference in peoples lives, especially those that appreciate it. (Can you tell I'm still a little bitter from my incident this morning?)

I hope your son is doing well.

LunaNik said...

i have always seen those little boxes at mcd's but never realized what exactly they were for...now that i know, i will be donating to them.

Anonymous said...

That sounds absolutely amazing. I've never heard of it before but it sounds like a really good cause. I can't believe they gave you all of that free stuff afterwards.

Cricky said...

In high school I belonged to a "sorority" service club. We went to the R. MC. house each year and baked cookies, we also donated the soda can tabs as they recycle them instead of the cans. Ours is amazing on the inside, the decor is similar to one of MTV's real world houses.

Glad to hear your boy is better.

TheOriginalMonz said...

It's places like that which make me continue to eat the cardboard crap that McD's serves. I can't stand the food (but Little Sister just LOVES the nuggets). But they do really good charity work, and that gives me reason to punish myself with their "food". I hope your kid is getting better from his surgery, and that he is up to playing RavenShield tonight.