Here are the rules:
1. List 12 random things about yourself that has to do with Christmas
2. Please refer to it as a 'hoopla' and not the dreaded 'm'-word
3. You have to specifically tag people when you're done. None of this "if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged" stuff is allowed...then nobody ends up actually doing it. The number of people who you tag is really up to you -- but the more, the merrier to get this 'hoopla' circulating through the blogosphere.
4. Please try and do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it and I'd like to get as many people involved as possible.
5. If you want to -- please give me, Andrea, some link-love as the 'Hoopla-Creator'. I love new blog-traffic.
OK, as I am in serious need of some Christmas Spirit this year, here are my 12 Christmas Things About Me
1. When I was in 2nd (I think) grade, our house burned down. I think it was in September when it happened. My sister and I went to live with our grandparents, while my parents and 2 brothers stayed with my step-fathers parents (all in the same small town). Anyway, my mother was DETERMINED that we would spend Christmas Eve all together, in our own house. They worked to re-build the house round the clock it seemed, all the while still working at the tavern my step dad was managing at the time. We moved back into our house about 2 days before Christmas, and all I remember is that my mother was the happiest I had ever seen her. We barely had furniture, but we had a Christmas tree, and lights, and presents. And all of us under the same roof. All we needed.
2. When Wonderdad and I first got married, I joined in his tradition of drawing for Make-Gifts. We had to draw a name and make a gift for that person, totally handmade, no buying allowed. The first year I made his sister's husband a wood burned plaque with a hunting scene on it, and it looked awesome. I think I got a sachet of potpourri from his youngest sister.
3. For reasons unknown to me, Wonderdad's family has always had OYSTER STEW for breakfast every year on Christmas Eve. While I support their tradition, I just have never been able to join in. Oyster stew? For breakfast? Blech.
4. I remember getting a 13 inch black and white TV for Christmas one year. I was such a snotty teenager at the time, I was disappointed it wasn't color, even though NOBODY else in the family had their own TV, or any of my friends. I really hurt my Mom's feelings because she couldn't really afford anything that year. I am ashamed just thinking about it.
5. When my Mom was married to her 2nd husband (for 15 years), we always had a huge family party in the basement of the tavern the family owned. Great Uncle Bob always sang "O Holy Night" on the microphone every year, and I mean with enough feeling to make your heart burst open. He had a fantastic baritone voice. He sang every year till the year he died. He must have been in his late 80's the last time I heard it. I think he was the reason a lot of those people made the trip to the party every year. I always looked forward to it. The family always hired the "Boomkessle Band", which was a band of old men who used homemade instruments, to play Christmas music. They were big on Polkas, and the chicken dance.
6. I have never liked the taste of eggnog, and I hate the smell of it.
7. I loved the breakfast quiche my mother made for breakfast every Christmas morning. Maybe I'll finally get the recipe this year.
8. It is now 12 days till Christmas, and I still haven't bought the first Christmas present. No lie.
9. For the last 11 years, I have had a free week off of work. Like a big Air Force "Thank you". Not this year. There hasn't been a lot to be thankful for this year on Minot AFB, work wise.
10. When I was a kid all of my relatives lumped my Christmas gift and my birthday gift together (my B-day is Dec 15). I have always made sure I never did that to my oldest son, whose b-day is 19 Dec. Birthdays are special, and should be treated so for kids.
11. Wonderdad and I have never really gotten Christmas presents for each other since our kids were born. If I could, I would get him a new mega-computer, new clothes, and the money to go to school, so he could have any job he wants when I retire. My wish for this year is for him to know how important he is to me and the kids, and how much he is loved. I sometimes think he feels a little lost in the shuffle. He is the glue in our family. Oh, and I would wish for longer weekends, 1 less car payment, and a vacation to somewhere WARM!
12. I am really not yet in the mood for Christmas, but am slowly working my way to it. This post has made me remember some great people and events. Thanks so much, Pam.
OK, wow, that was really long, but fun. The rules say I have to specifically tag a few people. I was going to tag Cardiogirl, but she seems to have her hands quite full at the moment. So CG, go for it if you want, but don't feel obligated. I'm also going to tag Heather the Coalminer's Granddaughter, and Claire of Mad House. Have fun guys, and I'm sorry if you hate being tagged! Anyone else who wants to play, have at it! I love learning about all of you!

8 comments:
Oyster Stew! For Breakfast! That is just gross! You have to share some of your ideas for handmade gifts with me....and hint around at the one you want me to send you ;) Thanks for playing along! It was fun to read your answers - I got to you more about you!
I didn't even want to think about the oyster stew bit! I did mine last night - it was kinda fun trying to dredge up memories :)
oyster stew...I have never heard of it and it already makes my tummy hurt.
That was really fun to read. I did this hoopla too.
You'd better get some shopping done- and soon!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Hope you're feeling cheery today and enjoying your birthday as its own holiday!
My husband and I don't exchange gifts, either; we're happy to enjoy our daughter having her fun.
God bless.
Oyster stew? Rhymes with "Ewwwwww." Sorry, Wonderdad, that's just... wrong.
I'll do this meme on Christmas day, I promise! I'll save it. Thanks!
Ok sister! I read your twelve Christmas thingies and I got very teary eyed. I can't say that I cried because Little Diver does not shed tears!!! Anyway, you were in third grade and yes you were a total bitchy teenager! I love you though!!! Happy Birthday! p.s. don't eat the oyster stew...It never settled well with me...too weird! Miss you!
Hey -- thanks for playing along!! Loved the story about all being able to be together UNDER ONE ROOF that Christmas when your house was re-built.
p.s. that recipe looks GREAT.Oh -- and last BUT DEFINITELY NOT LEAST....h-a-p-p-y b-i-r-t-h-d-a-y!!!
Post a Comment