First of all, I'm sorry for yesterday's somber tone. It was a hard day, and this is a really long week.
Today was a little better. I've been so busy at work lately, and the stress is really building. Our inspection this week did not go as well as we had hoped, so the next few months will be tough. Sometimes I swear if I had a plan I would get out when my enlistment is up next summer. If I had the time, I would retire, but that is still almost 9 years away. I wonder if the benefits and security are worth the crap we put up with. Over all it's a good lifestyle. We wave a nice home, medical benefits, life insurance, and cost of living allowances. I also get free tuition assistance and the GI bill. On the other hand, we are barely getting by, and living paycheck to paycheck. We always have the threat of me having to leave for long periods of time, and we are always moving around. OK, the moving isn't bad, I love it. The kids hate it though, and Wonderdad has to change jobs a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and I love the Air Force. Sometimes there are just days when I question why I ever joined up, and today was one of those days.
Christmas is 5 days away, and I am SO not ready. I still have some shopping to do. I have not sent the first Christmas card. My house is a wreck. What am I going to do? Some friends of mine have gotten me some really nice gifts and I want to return the favor. My friends gave me a 30 minute massage at a day spa! How can I match that? It must have cost at least $30. Another friend gave me a nice gift certificate. I would like very much to get my friends and co-workers nice tokens of appreciation, but money is so tight it's just not possible. I hope they understand. I feel bad for my hubby too, because he does not have a lot of social interaction. He works from home, and most of his friends live far away. So when I get gifts from co-workers and friends I feel a bit guilty. I wish I could do more for him.
So tonight I am going to turn off this computer and start cleaning my house, and maybe I'll feel a little better. Maybe I'll bake for my friends this weekend. It's about all I can do.
Man, I sound so scroogie! I'm sorry. Have a nice night everyone. I'll write something happy tomorrow, I promise!
Thursday, December 20, 2007
This Week is Never Going to End!
Posted by Military Mom at 4:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey, don't worry about it! One of my mom's friends told me what she was giving my mother for Christmas. She said, "Time." Since time is our most precious commodity, she is giving my mother two days of her time to help organize her stuff.
Give your friends some time to organize a closet, a promise to do laundry when they get sick, maybe one of those coupon books they can use with you to cash in later.
There you go. Don't worry about the scrooginess. Before kids, I was done shopping and wrapping before Christmas and decorations were up the day after Thanksgiving. Riiiight. Not anymore.
It will get better, promise. :-)
Hang in there MM! You know I am with you on all this- the money, the scrooginess, the long week- all of it. Your friends and hubby understand. What I did for work friends was make some cookies and gave our plates of cookies. My one friend I am a bit closer to so I gave her a coupon for a night of babysitting so she and her husband can go out with their toddler...I try to do things that don't cost anything or little, but at least let them know I care and know things about them. I don't know if that made sense or not.
Sorry your inspection didn't go well. Sorry about the tough months ahead. I was hoping the new year would be better for you!
((((big hugs))))
You don't sound scroogie at all and if it's any consolation, my place looks like something exploded in it and probably won't look any better by christmas day.
If your friends really are friends then they give you presents because they think it's something you would like not because they expect anything in return. Feel sorry for your hubby but there isn't a lot you can do about that right now.
Post a Comment