When I was young I remember going to my Grandparent's home in South Carolina almost every summer. My grandmother is an awesome lady, and I hope to be just like her when I am older. I didn't know it back then, but she had overcome a lot in her life. When she was still a young woman herself, she battled breast cancer. With the statistics of today, its hard to believe that someone could survive that so many years ago, but my grandmama is unlike most women. She lost her breast, but never her spirit. A few years ago, she lost her other breast. How often does breast cancer re-occur after so many decades in between? I'll bet the numbers are low. Now she is surviving with her body wracked with cancer, but her mind full of wit and knowledge, and her heart full of love. I cannot even imagine her pain, but she always has a smile for me. These days I only can hear her over the phone because we are so far apart, but I worry about her every day and love her so much.
It is because of her I installed the donate button for the Susan G. Komen breast cancer foundation. I am a military woman, so you know I have pretty low income, but I believe that if you give all you can, God will return it to you many times over. I donate part of my income each year to Breast cancer research and also to St. Jude Children's hospital. I believe in these charities and I hope you will take the time to give if you can. Simply click the donate button and it will take you their website, where you can choose to donate online. Don't feel obligated.
I gotta be honest. Breast cancer scares me to death. The idea that your femininity can turn against you seems like the ultimate betrayal to me, almost like an insult. I can only imagine the fortitude it must take to battle this horrible disease and come out the other side. I salute all of them and I pray for the cure to be discovered soon.
Monday, September 17, 2007
New Buttons
Posted by Military Mom at 7:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment